skip to content | Accessibility Information


Final Poster: Agenda: To explore interstitial spaces across the city centre of Manchester, identifying the qualities of these spaces such as their poetics, atmosphere and inherited potential. We then want to generate an installation for the writing school’s book launch Collaborators: We are collaborating with the MMU Writing School’s “Like This Press - Black noise” publishing to produce an experimental event taking place in March 2017, which will launch their anthology. We are also Collaborrating with Pic. a space sharing programme where spaces and activities are combined to strengthen communities Production: We aim to create an installation to convey the atmosphere, emotion and hidden potential depicted in several locations around Manchester. Produced will be compositional pieces that will coincide with written pieces of literature and artwork within our collaborators anthology and exhibited for a book launch. Location: 70 Oxford Road (Writing School) Mastercraft: We will ask students to record these spaces visually, such as painting, sketching, photography etc. as we aim to identify an interstitial space which could house an exhibition of these works. Key Skills: Spatial Visualisation // Download Poster

Ka F // Swapnil C // Adam C // William B

Posted 10 May 2017 16:20
A thank you:
We wanted to say a big thank you to Pic. (Platform for Interactive (ex)Change, for collaborating and helping us find a space in Manchester which we could use for our exhibition. Their programme which helps people find unused spaces helped up in our project and provided insight to spaces which we may not have thought of using before.
We Also wanted to thanks SpaceportX for providing and letting us use the space for our exhibition. We enjoyed working with them both and look forward to possibly working with them in the near future!
Posted 8 May 2017 13:00
Day 10: Closing off and packing up time. Well done to everyone!
Posted 8 May 2017 12:44
Photo of an example display and photograph by Giorgiana.
Posted 8 May 2017 12:07
Compilation of Student's work. The work produced shows a variety of different artwork which successfully captures the emotional and poetic quality of a space
Posted 8 May 2017 12:04
Day 10: Upcoming international art critic Tam reviewing artwork
Posted 8 May 2017 12:00
Day 10: Guests observing and interacting with the students about their work
Posted 8 May 2017 11:40
Day 10: Rare opportunity for people to enjoy the view from the rooftop of Stevenson Square during the exhibit. A space hidden in Manchester
Posted 8 May 2017 11:38
Day 10: Swapnil the bartender
Posted 8 May 2017 11:34
Day 10: Guests arrive
Posted 8 May 2017 11:29
Day 10: Ethan putting the ladder training to good use
Posted 8 May 2017 11:27
Day 10:
Posted 8 May 2017 11:23
Day 10
Posted 8 May 2017 10:49
Day 10: Chilling after putting up the exhibit
Posted 8 May 2017 10:46
Day 10: Finishing touches and adjusting the boards
Posted 8 May 2017 10:43
Thought it would be nice to mention, congratulations to our collaborators Pic (Platform for Interactive (ex)Change) who won silver award for the SpinAwards Young Talent 2017!

Check out their entry here for more information about their project:
Posted 3 May 2017 15:47
Day 10: We're Open! everyone who can did a great job constructing the exhibition The work looked great too. More images to follow!
Posted 6 Apr 2017 12:45
Day 10: Construction of the exhibition begins, We all take the pre-cut pieces to be put up so that we can hang the work off them
Posted 6 Apr 2017 12:32
Posted 31 Mar 2017 01:37
Day 9
Finishing touches by t he students for the final exhibition. Everyone is very excited for tomorrow.
Posted 30 Mar 2017 20:05
Day 8
We went to site for discussions and measuring the dimensions required for the framework of the exhibits.
Posted 30 Mar 2017 17:03
Day 8
We went to the furniture shop which sells refurbished furniture and explored if we can use any material from the shop for our exhibition.
Posted 30 Mar 2017 17:02
Day 7
We continued to work in groups made yesterday and had discussion at the end of the day keeping check on the progress of each group.
Posted 30 Mar 2017 17:00
Poster Design designed by the students for the Exhibition in the Northern Quarter. Located at Spaceportx just above Ply
Posted 29 Mar 2017 12:53
Day 6
In afternoon we discussed about the initial ideas for exhibition and then split in 4 groups for working. Each group was assigned four different activities- Invitation poster, Video making, Introductory blog, designing the exhibition.
Posted 28 Mar 2017 13:39
Day 6
We went to the exhibition venue SpacePortX. We did site survey and measured the exhibition area for designing the layout for exhibition.
Posted 28 Mar 2017 13:35
Day 5
Today we got the students to show their current progress to the rest of the group so everyone could get a chance to understand how others were progressing. This was also a good chance for others students to provide comment on people's work.
Posted 24 Mar 2017 20:58
Day 4 afternoonupdate.

Unfortunately due to problems with publication and unforseen circumstances, the LikeThisPress-BlackNoise Anthology book launch event (sheduled in the sessin plan) has been moved to the end of April outside our events schedule. The day was adjusted to be an extra drop-in session for years 1 and 2
Posted 24 Mar 2017 14:06
Day 4
Individual discussion on the developed ideas and areas for improvement from exhibition point of view.
Posted 24 Mar 2017 00:59
Day 3
Drop-in session. Individual sessions carried out to clarify doubts and discussions to best pitch their ideas.
Posted 22 Mar 2017 23:00
Day 2
Sketching as a form of representation of space.(sample work of students produced today)
Posted 21 Mar 2017 22:28
Day 2
After lunch we shared/discussed our ideas with each other produced in the morning and further worked on developing the photographs and sketches.
Posted 21 Mar 2017 22:08
Day 2
We split in 4 groups and explored areas assigned to each group producing photographs and sketches depicting the emotion and atmosphere of the space.
Posted 21 Mar 2017 22:06
Great work and ideas from the students today in the workshop. A Pinterest board has been created for the students to use as precedents or inspiration.
Posted 21 Mar 2017 20:37
Day 1
At the end of the day, we gathered at cafe in the museum to share/discuss our ideas and day's work and had a brief chat about next day schedule.
Posted 20 Mar 2017 22:19
Day 1
After exploring Bridgewater Canal, we went to Museum of Science and Industry to continue the exercise.
Posted 20 Mar 2017 22:16
Day 1
After lunch we went to Bridgewater Canal to explore the area and record the character of the space with help of sketches, photographs and films.
Posted 20 Mar 2017 22:15
Day 1
After introduction we had Haiku writing exercise. Everyone choose an image of the space from the list of space selected and were told to write Haiku describing the character, emotion of the space.
Posted 20 Mar 2017 22:12
Day 1
Introductory presentation about the brief, explaining what we are suppose to do for following 2 weeks. This is the first meet were we got to know each other.
Posted 20 Mar 2017 22:09
In case anybody doesn't know where to go for our first meeting we're in room CH513 at 10AM. See you guys there
Posted 19 Mar 2017 23:30
Posted 15 Mar 2017 11:58
Here is an updated version with the locations of all the sessions we'll be doing in the events period
Posted 15 Mar 2017 10:17
We're happy to announce that we finally have a exhibition venue for the evening of Friday 31st March at Spaceportx located in the Northern Quarter. Many thanks to our collaborators Pic.
Posted 15 Mar 2017 10:16
We've decided on the list of all the locations we're going to visit in Manchester on the first week of the events programme. We look forward to seeing you all on Monday 20th in CH513.
Posted 9 Mar 2017 15:11
Hidden Manchester Exhibition. Interesting ideas about responding to the ideas of 'Hidden' in relation to they city, whether its literally or figuratively. A small exhibit in the school of art in the grosovenor gallery displaying a range of mediums from drawings to photos to printing on fashion. If you're reading this, check it out!
Posted 24 Feb 2017 12:54
We've developed the programme and session plan for the events period, with planned activities for students on each day. Please feel free to email one of us if you have any queries.
Posted 22 Feb 2017 09:58
17.02.16 - Final Poster updated
Posted 16 Feb 2017 16:57
We've been discussing the type and quality of work that the students will produce to be shown at the exhibition at the end of the events period. Our focus will be on mixed media with photography and on-site sketches.
Posted 15 Feb 2017 12:13
Along with the 'Like This Space - Black Noise'; (a small, private press committed to thinking about the place of books in the world and part of the MMU writing school), we are also happy to announce our new collaborators 'Pic.' confirmed last Friday who will help us look for spaces and a possible venue for our event.

"At PIC, we love Space! Our vision is committed to making spaces more available to those I the City. We believe that Cities today should strive to do more with less! Let's share what we have and maximise our time!"

Posted 15 Feb 2017 01:20
Hidden Manchester exhibition - work by the Manchester school of art. Would be interesting and worth a visit as theme of hidden Manchester seems similar to our workshop theme

Grosvenor Gallery,
Cavendish Street,
Manchester, M15 6BR
23 Feb 17 4:30-7pm
24 Feb 17 10am-4pm
Posted 14 Feb 2017 19:03
We've been looking around Manchester for spaces for the students to use for sketching and photography sessions during the events program. Also, potential sites for an on site workshop.
Posted 13 Feb 2017 14:32
We had a look at other spaces such as the Whiskey Jar located in the Northern Quarter for the book launch/Exhibition. The Whiskey Jar presents a rustic/hidden quality to it which could be used as one of the poetic spaces for the students to visit during the event - Visited 31.01.2017
Posted 12 Feb 2017 15:56
We have been checking out potential venues for the upcoming event. We wanted to hold our exhibition in an industrial looking venue to capture the atmosphere that would convey the works of the Black Noise team. It was important to actually see the venues to get a scope on how our exhibition would work in the space and available resources these types of venues could give to us.
Posted 12 Feb 2017 15:14
Meeting 06 02 17


Swapnil – M Arch Student, Architecture Department
Stanley Fu – M Arch Student, Architecture Department
Adam Collinge – M Arch Student, Architecture Department
Will Birch - M Arch Student, Architecture Department

1.0 Previous Minutes

1.1 Possible locations for event

2.0 Discussion

2.1 Spaces located –

Anthony Burgess Foundation
The Whiskey Jar – NQ
Hope Mills and alternative location
Stubbs Mills – No
Islington Mills
Gallery at Z Arts
Night and Day
Lock 91
Deaf Institute
The Fitzgerald
The Skyhook
Mayfield Train Station
Joshua Brooks Basement
Royal Mills
Mailyard Museum
Fairfield Mills

5 locations from each member presented and discussed.


Visits to Anthony Burgess Foundation and Whiskey Bar organized for 06/02/17 and 07/02/17.


Hope Mills organizer emailed, however she is out of the country currently so a visit will be arranged for the near future.


Islington Mills contacted but not yet replied.


An agency specializing in abandoned locations for filming and events replied with a quote for £1250+400+VAT.


Whiskey Bar contacted and replied scheduled to be visited 08/02/17.


We are discussing budget for the event with each location, Anthony Burgess Foundation has specified £180 for 30/03/17.


We have decided to provide a provisional list of locations for students to visit and document. These are meant to be of an abandoned or disused nature and have an air of historical industrial importance about them or a documented history of some kind to draw from. The spaces are going to be located via visits and if possible the owners contacted to arrange student visits although this may not be possible in all cases.


We are working on a design for the exhibit within which ever space may be chosen. As we do not know the exact context of the space yet we have decided on a modular design which can be easily erected on site.


The programme for the 2 weeks at the end of March is being discussed.

Posted 6 Feb 2017 14:30
Meeting 02 02 17


Swapnil – M Arch Student, Architecture Department
Stanley Fu – M Arch Student, Architecture Department
Adam Collinge – M Arch Student, Architecture Department
Will Birch - M Arch Student, Architecture Department


1.0 Previous Minutes

1.1 Locations date and format of event.

2.0 Discussion

Arron Reed has unfortunately left the group, it will be a struggle without his valuable input but we will continue to uphold his finely organized legacy.

Discussion between Events Team on how to progress with locating space to hold event.

The decision was made to each locate and contact 5 spaces in the city and bring to the meeting on 06/02/17.
Posted 6 Feb 2017 14:29
Meeting 16 01 17


Helen Nicholson – Writing School, MMU

Swapnil – M Arch Student, Architecture Department
Stanley Fu – M Arch Student, Architecture Department
Adam Collinge – M Arch Student, Architecture Department


1.0 Previous Minutes

1.1 Collaboration with the English Department

2.0 Discussion

Collaboration between Helen Nicholson and the Writing School and our Events Team was deemed to be unfeasible due to non compatible event dates. We have decided to move forwards with the Black Noise Team from the English Department following the meeting on 8th Decemeber 2016.

Posted 6 Feb 2017 14:28
Meeting 8 12 16

Ba Students, English Department

Ayesha Kinley
Abi Brooks


M Arch Students, Architecture Department
Swapnil Chaudhari

Adam Collinge
Stanley Fu
Arron Reed
Will Birch

1.0 Previous Minutes


Collaboration with the English department discussed.

2.0 Discussion


Meeting the students involved in the English Department events side of the collaboration.

Collaboration with Black Noise project discussed following email conversation.

We agreed on the format and rough date of the exhibition/ reading. Different artists were discussed and possible venues were discussed in relation to the amount of expected people and ease of access for anyone visiting from out of town. The event was agreed to be for one night with both audiences attending both parts. Probably the 30th March 2017, Thursday.

Posted 6 Feb 2017 14:28
Meeting 15/11/16


Jess Edwards – Head of English, English Department - JE
Tiffany…. - English Department
Random Lady – English Department
Kate McGowan – English Department

Vicky – Tutor, Architecture Department
Arron Reed – M Arch Student, Architecture Department
Will Birch – M Arch Student, Architecture Department


1.0 Previous Minutes

2.0 Discussion


Established the brief is acceptable to everyone –


The exploration of interstitial spaces. Atmospheric description both verbally and visually of spaces found to be abandoned in the city of Manchester. The city plays host to a collection of industrial and cultural spaces left to waste following industrial upheaval. The project seeks to draw from the unique narratives of each space and create an image poetically commenting on the state of the

This will then lead to an exhibition, staged in a space fitting the content of the exhibition.

Spoke with JE who recommended contacting Nick Royale, who has an interesting approach to creating literature based on these spaces, absorbing the Genius Loci whilst he creates them.


Discussed the possibility of a collaboration between the Writing School and the Architecture Department, agreed in theory for the postgrad students to work with us and the other Architecture Students on the project.

Place Writing group seen by JE as the most suitable to collaborate.

3.0 Actions


Initial Advertising Poster Created by Adam Collinger and Stanley Fu


WB emailed Nick Royale asking for advice on space selection

Jess Edwards emailed Vicky, Will Birch, Arron Reed, introducing Helen Nicholson as the Head of the Writing School and David Cooper who leads the Place Writing research group.

Jess Edwards has stated Helen Nicholson wishes Will Birch and Arron Reed to present the project to her students early next semester

David Cooper has emailed a substantial reading list we are continuing to consult.

Arron Reed emailed Helen Nicholson, Jess Edwards and David Cooper to clarify when the presentation would take place and to inform them the initial poster is now up on the Events Blog and the Blog is LIVE.
Posted 6 Feb 2017 14:28
161214 - Updated poster

We aim to explore interstitial spaces across the city centre of Manchester, identifying the qualities of these spaces such as their poetics, atmosphere and inherited potential. We will ask students to record these spaces visually, such as painting, sketching, photography etc. as we aim to identify an interstitial space which could house an exhibition of these works.

Black Noise -
Black noise are a publishing exercise within the Manchester Writing School and they are looking for short stories that take a direct look at 21st Century life incorporating models such as black humour, melancholy, absurdity, and the uncanny. The stories should create a sense of a modern day fable and should be both invasive and emotive.

Editorial Team: Abigail Brookes & Ayesha Kinley
They will be editing an anthology which will be an accumulated selection of these short stories and have an opening ceremony in March 2017 which will coincide with our Events program.
They have agreed in principle to have the ceremony on 31st March.
You can see their progress on twitter at @BlackNoiseLTP

We will create and curate an exhibition at a chosen location within the city which will convey the emotional and poetic aspects of both the architectural student’s ideas and the writer’s anthology.
During the course of the module, we hope to encourage the participants to experiment with Photography, Sketching/Painting, Model making, Curation and Mapping.
Posted 14 Dec 2016 11:35
Example of potential artworks from artist for the Black Noise Anthology
Posted 14 Dec 2016 11:34
Posted 14 Dec 2016 11:24
Posted 21 Nov 2016 20:50