skip to content | Accessibility Information

Group 05 re:SHELTER

// Download Poster

Thomas F // Sebastian F // Jack H // William D // Polly C // Jonathon H

After meeting up with St Anns Church and Manchester Universities' Catholic Chaplaincy, we were put in contact with the Reverend at Manchester Cathedral. Unfortunately, after further correspondence the Cathedral were unable to accommodate the structure due to 'legal challenges'.
Posted 8 May 2017 18:38
The selected design from team Hex!
Posted 8 May 2017 14:59
Documentation of several designs the team developed!
Posted 8 May 2017 14:58
Day 6: Sketch models and component counting
Posted 2 May 2017 15:22
Political Installation team
Posted 2 May 2017 15:21
The donation drop-off installation is finally constructed and in the UoM SU
Posted 2 May 2017 15:21
Posted 2 May 2017 15:19
Making final sketch models to test ideas!
Posted 2 May 2017 15:19
Wood delivery for 1:1 installations!
Posted 2 May 2017 15:18
Day 3: Making models
Posted 2 May 2017 15:17
Day 2: 3D sketch models are coming along to explain our ideas better. Some really nice sketches too. Keep up the good work!
Posted 2 May 2017 15:13
Group Crit brought up some really good questions about materials, connections and scale. It shaping up to be a really interesting build
Posted 2 May 2017 15:13
Day 5: Getting to final design stages. Working through sketchup models, sketches and thinking of dims/connection details
Posted 2 May 2017 15:10
At the presentation lecture about to pitch our event to the 1st and 2nd years!
Posted 2 May 2017 15:08
Week 2 - Fortnight process
Posted 1 May 2017 12:02
Week 1 - Fortnight process
Posted 1 May 2017 12:02
Its great to see the rest of the Art School appreciating the good work we are doing as the School of Architecture in the community.
Posted 19 Apr 2017 15:22
Final edit is up! Go check it out at:
Posted 18 Apr 2017 15:28
Posted 31 Mar 2017 02:17
Some tired faces!
Posted 30 Mar 2017 22:58
The installation is up and in the SU! Building on the themes presented by Andrew Turmeau on day 1, the installation aims to challenge the idea of place rather than space. The perfect section of a living room challenges our own 'places` by creating an uncomfortable space and questions the actions of those who install spikes to stop homeless people from creating 'place`.
Posted 30 Mar 2017 22:55
Makeshift 'homeless spikes` finished and on their way to the SU to start putting the exhibition piece together.
Posted 30 Mar 2017 22:47
Day 9: Afternoon - Papering done. Shelves done. Window done. Time to take it to the SU
Posted 30 Mar 2017 22:43
Day 9: Last big push to construct the installation for the SU Exhibition. Here we've been doing a bit of wallpapering!
Posted 30 Mar 2017 22:40
Great to see the guys at Emerge getting on board with our project
Posted 30 Mar 2017 22:37
Day 9: We've moved to UoM SU and doing the last finishing touches to the donate-distribute unit for people to start dropping off donations
Posted 30 Mar 2017 22:34
Mayed is on the hunt for donations. If anyone has any cans/clothes/books/sanitary products then please donate!
Posted 29 Mar 2017 22:27
Someones excited to finish!
Posted 29 Mar 2017 22:24
Day 8: Close of play - The donate-distribute unit is done! MArch group leaders are proud of everyone thats put the effort in for it to come together. Hopefully we will finish the second installation tomorrow and exhibit both in UoM SU
Posted 29 Mar 2017 22:23
Day 8: Afternoon - Cladding wings starting to go on
Posted 29 Mar 2017 22:21
Day 8: Morning - Frame structure has been complete and we are ready to start cladding!
Posted 29 Mar 2017 22:20
Day 7: The installation group has been working hard to complete their 1:1 piece
Posted 29 Mar 2017 22:15
Day 6: Quick 1:1 sketch mock-up of a potential design for the donate-distribute unit
Posted 29 Mar 2017 22:11
Day 6: Started the day with an induction to use the courtyard. Everyone needs to remember to bring steel toe capped boots, gloves and eye protection to use the courtyard.
Posted 28 Mar 2017 11:00
Day 5: Using the materials from we received from Emerge yesterday, we are testing design ideas. Great to see we are finally starting construction!
Posted 28 Mar 2017 10:56
A hard mornings work has resulted in a healthy wood stock. Excited to start construction...
Posted 23 Mar 2017 21:41
Potential cladding design?
Posted 23 Mar 2017 21:35
Ding dong delivery for group 5
Posted 23 Mar 2017 21:34
alright STOP: Hammer time
Posted 23 Mar 2017 21:32
synchronized pallet breakerz!
Posted 23 Mar 2017 21:31
A wonderful morning seeing the great work Emerge do at their recycling plant in Openshaw. Some of our UGs are keen to volunteer in the summer. Many thanks to Lucy and the team!
Posted 23 Mar 2017 21:29
Great concept design by sub-team STUD
Posted 23 Mar 2017 21:25
Team presentations and critique session
Posted 23 Mar 2017 21:24
Proposal axos by our UGs
Posted 23 Mar 2017 16:19
Day 3: We spent the day at the Student Union for the "Honest Discussions on Homelessness", hosted by the Big Change Society that focuses on ending homelessness.
The discussions gave a unique perspectives on the issue of homelessness that included talks from academia, NGOs, the health industry, government representatives, and the general public to spark a discussion about an issue that we often ignore.
Posted 22 Mar 2017 22:28
We are picking up scrap material from Bowmer + Kirkland Holiday Inn Express site on Friday as it nears hand over. Hopefully we can add to our growing materials palette.
Posted 21 Mar 2017 17:44
Day two and we're starting to produce some really good designs. This is series of sketches from one group looking at creating a temporary living space over defensive spikes to raise awareness of the homeless situation in Manchester.
Posted 21 Mar 2017 17:37
Check out our pinterest board set up by 1st year Eva Haselhuber. Some great precedents being found for our prototypes
Posted 21 Mar 2017 15:59
Andrew Turmeau presented some sketch layouts of potential refurbished buildings to provide shelter for the homeless community of Lincoln.
Posted 21 Mar 2017 14:51
We ended the day by sketching initial ideas of what our structure could be using our knowledge from earlier discussions, chatting to local charities and from Andrew Turmeau's talk. The ideas focused around a structure used for storage, donation and social spaces that can be moved around the city.
Posted 20 Mar 2017 19:04
Andrew Turmeau from AEW Architects has kindly come in to talk about his research into homelessness. He has given us a greater insight into the current challenges homeless people face and the ways that architecture can aid in resolving some of these issues.
Posted 20 Mar 2017 18:56
We are at Student Union for the Homelessness Fair as part of Homelessness Week to chat to local charities about how to get involved with volunteering and fundraising. Also to gain further insight into the issues surrounding homelessness.
Posted 20 Mar 2017 18:50
Great start to Events! It's been a busy start to the day introducing ourselves and explaining the programme for the week. Everyone seems very keen to start the project.
Posted 20 Mar 2017 18:47
Posted 20 Mar 2017 17:27
Really successful Day 1! Some really good ideas have come out of the design process and we are looking forward to refining some of these tomorrow.
Posted 20 Mar 2017 17:22
Posted 20 Mar 2017 09:44
Find us on FB for updates and event locations!
Posted 12 Mar 2017 17:21
We will be meeting at 10am in CH807 on Day 1. Bring your sketching stuff and note books!
Posted 12 Mar 2017 14:34
We have been successful in arranging a new collaborator, Emerge. This will see a new schedule for the first week, in which there will be a lecture held by Lucy Danger, Emerge's chief executive. Lucy was positive in what we could achieve together. After visiting the premises, which included workshop and a large yard, we agreed to bring groups of students here to help with the factory operation. This involves pallet breaking and upcycling. This will be a great opportunity for students to learn the limitations of construction techniques. We were even able to source pallets directly from Emerge for free!
Posted 3 Mar 2017 14:36
Today I picked up some free pallets from Houldsworth Mill in Reddish to use in the construction of our 1:1 installations. We will be breaking the pallets down into individual planks in the coming weeks.
Posted 1 Mar 2017 18:13
We are excited that the contractor Bowmer & Kirkland have offered to help in supplying any waste timber from their North West sites for the project.
Posted 23 Feb 2017 11:05
Jack and I visited Fallowfield Timber today and they have agreed to donate any scraps they have for the cause!
Posted 16 Feb 2017 16:39
Seb and Jonny did a great job pitching our event. Looking forward to making a difference to lives of the homeless in Manchester.
Posted 16 Feb 2017 16:34
Moodboard for the thematics of the event
Posted 14 Feb 2017 16:01

This documentary by Mike Staniforth followed the lives of homeless people in Manchester. It is a collection of interviews with people sleeping rough, allowing them to express their views on the Council's homeless policy, the conditions in which they live, the way people treat them in the street, and their day to day struggles. During Events, I would strongly urge all of our participants to watch it.
Posted 14 Feb 2017 14:44

Whilst looking at potential experimentation of materials, I found Ocean Dome which used collected waste plastic from the ocean in South Africa to construct pavilions. Markus Heinsdorff uses the plastic in a gabion cage to construct towers capable of housing people. In our events, we could potential use collected waste plastic as a building material as its malleable and water proof.
Posted 14 Feb 2017 14:36
Posted 14 Feb 2017 14:31
Posted 14 Feb 2017 14:31

I have been looking at potential ways of using simple materials to build large scale 1:1 pieces. Wikkelhouse is a home built entirely from carboard insulation, plywood internal facing and timber batten cladding. It also plays with the idea of modularity of components and is manufactured entirely in a factory in Amsterdam. It is transported to site as a complete unit where it is hooked up to the prepared services. In our events, we could look at using cardboard as a building material quite easily, and use some of the methods discussed in the video to maintain its lifespan.
Posted 14 Feb 2017 14:30
Following discussions with Dom Sagar, he has sent me contact details for two people at Mustard Tree in Manchester. This is a charity that not only offers food, clothes and furniture, but also offers life-skills, training, volunteering, education, mentoring and employment opportunities to help people to increase their resilience and enable them to escape poverty and homelessness.

We have made initial contact and hope that they will be able to collaborate with us in either giving a lecture on the situation in Manchester, or help in the critique process of work to refine student ideas.
Posted 14 Feb 2017 14:19
Unfortunately Dwelle have not responded to our request for collaboration and so we have decided to explore other potential collaborators that could help in either the detail design of dwellings and modularising components.
Posted 14 Feb 2017 14:12
We are in the process of speaking to Enactus about their project ReNu in which students from the University of Manchester in partnership with Barnabus are aiming to tackle the issue of homelessness in the city. The charity empowers homeless people by teaching them workshop skills that can be transferrable into full time employment. We hope to be able to get them involved in this event either through material or workshop space donation, and experiences in working with materials in this setting.
Posted 14 Feb 2017 14:09
We are pleased that Andrew Fowler from Emmaus Mossley has agreed to schedule a meeting with us prior to Events and come to speak to the undergrad students on the first day of Events. Emmaus are a charity that collect furniture and other home items and with the help of the homeless, they are up-cycled and sold.
Posted 14 Feb 2017 14:01
We are in the process of contacting a number of contractors and demolition contractors for waste materials and used hoarding that they could donate. These include:
Balfour Beatty
Bowmer and Kirkland
Vinci Construction
Laing O'Rourke
Willmott Dixon
Eric Wright
Sir Robert McAlpine
Connell Brothers
Posted 14 Feb 2017 13:56
We are in contact with Beth Popplewell and Phil Hopkins at Archer Architects to potentially have them come to critique proposals during Events. This will give undergrad students an opportunity of exposure to commercial practices, and an insight into how they could produce detailed technical drawings for their schemes.
Posted 14 Feb 2017 13:48
We are pleased that Andrew Turmeau from AEW Architects and Designers is coming in on the first day of Events to talk to us about his work at the University of Lincoln on homelessness in Lincoln. It should be a valuable session to gain his experiences from the work he did on the streets of Lincoln and how he slept rough to fully engage with the homeless community.
Posted 14 Feb 2017 13:43