skip to content | Accessibility Information

Group 14 Festival: Installation

Festival Installation has been commissioned by Decordia Events to design a centre-piece installation for a major Manchester-based festival during the summer of 2018. The project will design and build an installation that will be exhibited over the coming years with the potential for thousands to view it. We require a team who are willing to work outdoors and keen to learn new skills. This installation will be a great addition to your skill set and allow you to develop a diverse portfolio whilst attaining the satisfaction of taking part in a project that will be on show to the general public! Please note there will be no access to the festival as part of this project. // Download Poster

Andrew C // Kieran T // Fraser S // Russell P // Georgia T

Combination of coloured lighting and internal strobe really set the installation alight!
Posted 8 May 2018 08:43
The coloured uplighters really change the aesthetic of the installation. We're really looking forward to using UV lights to bring out the full effects of the UV reactive cord!
Posted 2 May 2018 19:51
As promised - Shots of the installation lit up using the lighting from dbn Audile!

The projected colours add the final element in delivering our original proposal and render to the festival.
Posted 2 May 2018 15:08
As promised, a final group photo with the finished 'Big Bang' installation. Had a great 2 weeks with the gang assembling and overcoming design issues. Time to get lit up!
Posted 2 May 2018 12:23
Close up shot #3

Very pleased with how the custom made joints have performed during the events period. The grub screws have held the struts in place securely, even whilst turning and rolling the entire frame. Big shout out to WEC Engineering and our fabricator Phil for producing these!
Posted 2 May 2018 12:17
Close up shot #2

It's great to see the acrylic spheres catching the sunlight. We're all looking forward to how they catch and reflect the light when we have our lighting from dbn audile in place.
Posted 2 May 2018 12:15
Close up shot #1

Great to see the UV and non UV cord simply disappearing into the center of the frame. After much deliberation of how to connect the cord in the center, the small carabiners have payed off massively!
Posted 2 May 2018 12:12
Managed to get the installation all set and ready for the lighting experiments ahead of the final exhibition and festival dates. It's great to see the merging of our initial concepts to final outputs, along with the fantastic design input from the 1st & 2nd years! Group photo to follow....
Posted 2 May 2018 11:48
Final Component Assembly!

The final design component consisting of 3 offset triangles to be housed in the top of the icosahedron frame went in today... Although by a happy accident, it ended up being slightly off center which allowed us to create a 3D effect of offset triangles pulling towards the center of our 'Big Bang'
Posted 2 May 2018 01:15
Had some well spent time in the workshops with the first years over the events period. The acrylic spheres in particular have added another layer of texture to the overall image of the 'Big Bang' icosahedron.
Posted 2 May 2018 00:40
Today our collaborator will present our work to the Festival Promoter. We have had positive feedback from our Collaborator on the design.
Posted 1 May 2018 14:53
Big thank you dbn audile for lending us some RGB uplighters and a strobe to experiment with the installation last night. After waiting for the sun to set we were able to completely change the aesthetic of the installation using the equipment.

More to follow....... 🎇
Posted 1 May 2018 14:38
Final delivery of the perforated, branded Blue Dot Festival panel arrived today!
Posted 30 Apr 2018 19:22
Good feedback from Yumian; she thought the events week was really informative and interesting!
Posted 30 Apr 2018 16:38
Yiling had a great time! She enjoyed the design aspects and the assembly of the project!
Posted 30 Apr 2018 16:38
Sin really enjoyed working on the festival project and the design elements of the overall project where the students pitched their own proposals to the collaborator!
Posted 30 Apr 2018 16:37
Really good feedback from Simona, she found the 1:1 installation a really engaging project to be apart of!
Posted 30 Apr 2018 16:34
Mohamed was really interested working in a more art driven project as opposed to building based projects!
Posted 30 Apr 2018 16:26
Maria found it great experience working with a more construction driven project!
Posted 30 Apr 2018 16:24
Great Feedback from Leyli, she really enjoyed being involved with the assembly of the installation at a 1:1 scale!
Posted 30 Apr 2018 16:22
A day in the studio collating photographs, videos, drawings and documents for the video and individual portfolios. We then arranged and organised them in a logical sequence by sketching out a template for the 3-minute video of our events process before setting up the time frames for each of them to put in the video.
Posted 27 Apr 2018 23:57
After drilling holes into the acrylic spheres, the team secured them along the rubber cords.

The way the spheres catch the light effectively represent the desired effect
Posted 27 Apr 2018 18:02
Student Feedback - Kimberly
Posted 27 Apr 2018 15:51
Student Highlights - Jing Shao
Posted 27 Apr 2018 15:42
Student Feedback - Hakon
Posted 27 Apr 2018 15:32
Studen Highlights - Hakon
Posted 27 Apr 2018 15:27
Second to last piece of the puzzle!
The design workshops we introduced to the 1st and 2nd years over the course of the events week are now being put up into the overall frame.
Posted 27 Apr 2018 15:10
Had the 1st years taking on some tasks in the wood workshop.
A number of acrylic spheres needed drilling to be placed on the network of strings in the icosahedron.
Posted 27 Apr 2018 15:08
Student Feedback - lulia
Posted 27 Apr 2018 15:08
Student Highlights - Iulia
Posted 27 Apr 2018 15:04
Student Highlights - As by Lukas Gedeikis
Posted 27 Apr 2018 14:29
Student Feedback - As Events week starts to draw to a close we asked our students to give us some feedback on the week.
Posted 27 Apr 2018 14:24
Hunkering down in the atrium to escape the Mancunian weather.

The team is collating and sharing all of the photos, drawings and documents today in order to bring them together for the video and portfolios
Posted 27 Apr 2018 11:07
Continuing the 'Big Bang' from the original concept design, we have been exploring various methods of representing 'stars' within the installation.

We decided on using differing sizes of these clear acrylic spheres!
Posted 27 Apr 2018 09:56
Fixing the additional panel designs to the main Icosahedron frame today while the rain stayed away.

Parts of the grand design are starting to come together...
Posted 27 Apr 2018 08:12
At the end of the day on Thursday (26th April) as a team we were finishing tying together the smaller triangles to the larger ones and inserting it into the large structure. The translucent spheres were also added to the string and loose ends from the cable ties and string were cut and removed. A team effort was made to insert and tie together the large triangle into the main structure ready to take a group photograph with the installation.
Posted 27 Apr 2018 04:25
Presentation by Decordia on Thursday (26th April) to our whole group introducing the work they produce and create for different festivals.

Decordia spoke about the many different job routes she went through from prop design and stage design to how she got into working on installations for festivals.

Decordia complemented the work produced and said collaborating and talking to different people helps to guide you down the path you want to take. Decordia reinforced that people are always advertising for freelance work and good design skills, sketching and visuals are highly sort after.
Posted 27 Apr 2018 04:23
On Wednesday (25th April) we were assembling and arranging all the final design triangles together into the larger triangle. Practice presentations by each group at the end of the day for any last-minute questions in preparation to present to Decordia on Thursday (26th April).

Studio working and hands on working with the installation outside took place throughout the day encouraging people to collaborate and create conversations between First, Second and Fifth year students.
Posted 27 Apr 2018 04:21
Working in the studio on Monday (23rd April) with the first and Second years helping them with portfolio advice and working on showing their design process leading to their final design, in preparation to present to Decordia on Thursday (26th April).
Posted 27 Apr 2018 04:19
Group presentations to Decordia (collaborator) were received very positively.

Each group presented creative diverse design proposals including the process they undertook to reach their final design proposal.
Posted 26 Apr 2018 14:23
First day Introduction went well before making paper maquette models of the icosahedron.
Posted 26 Apr 2018 14:12
Birthday boy Russell stringing up the UV cord, ensuring the correct lengths have been ordered.

The 3mm UV reactive coloured cord isn't cheap so if calculations had been incorrect and more cord needed to be ordered, a hefty chunk of the budget would have been lost.

Fortunately Russell's calculations were spot on!
Posted 25 Apr 2018 23:51
The team have been churning out the designs over the past couple of days.

All of this on top of the reconfiguration proposals (for future interpretations of the installation when used at festivals) that they will be presenting to Decordia tomorrow!
Posted 25 Apr 2018 22:51
A selection of the team's personalised designs for their 'sub-divided' panels. Fantastic creativitiy through variation in design, colour and combination of materials whilst being limited in size and choice of materials too.
Posted 25 Apr 2018 22:26
Another productive day - Our First and Second years have been working on adapting designs with given constraints. Here is one that we like as it uses the festivals theme of science and connects with the project in a beautiful way... Thank you lulia for your great work !
Posted 25 Apr 2018 17:19
Work in progress installing the UV cord. Slowly coming together!

Follow the link below to have a nosy:
Posted 25 Apr 2018 14:19
The team pushing forward creating their diverse individual designs!
Posted 24 Apr 2018 22:34
Kimberly and Jing cracking on with marking out, cutting, sanding, drilling and screwing timber triangles for the sub-divded panel...

...possibly with the occassional bit of wood filler
Posted 24 Apr 2018 22:24
The BA1&2 students continued to work over the weekend...

...Here is a selection of the various creative designs the team produced
Posted 23 Apr 2018 21:38
After months of working with our partners on this project we are able to reveal that we are producing our installation for bluedot festival. The Installation will be situated in the main arena at the festival over the weekend of 20-22 July 2018 at Jodrell Bank Observatory.
Posted 23 Apr 2018 20:36
Assembling the structural frame this afternoon!
Posted 23 Apr 2018 20:14
Fabricator Phil delivered the structural frame today, freshly powder coated and looked crisp!

The morning was spent marking up the spider joints and struts to make sure they fitted together perfectly. Holes along the specified struts were also marked out to allow for the further additions to the frame.

A superb start to the week!
Posted 23 Apr 2018 19:10
Getting the guys to develop and experiment using both hand-drawings and physical models really helps to understand what is being proposed!

Really looking forward to see how their inputs fit into main frame and design - Excited for next week!

Posted 21 Apr 2018 15:37
Candid snapshot of the guys working hard developing their personal designs!

Really looking forward to see how their inputs fit into main frame and design - Excited for next week!

Posted 21 Apr 2018 15:33
Posted 20 Apr 2018 20:39
Posted 20 Apr 2018 20:34
Initial sketch designs by the group for their personalised, Sub-divided panels!
Posted 20 Apr 2018 12:47
A selection of paper Icosahedrons by the team to help understand the design form
Posted 20 Apr 2018 11:31
With the Festival's theme - Science & Outer Space..... the actual spacecraft that brought Tim Peake back to Earth in 2016 should provide some inspiration!
Posted 19 Apr 2018 17:08
The use and effects of light is an important factor in the brief - The textiles exhibition was a perfect display for precedents!
Posted 19 Apr 2018 16:59
Thursday 19.04

A glorious day to visit the Museum of Science & Industry!

Seeking inspiration from the exhibits including forms, patterns and textures which will be carried forward into the students proposals
Posted 19 Apr 2018 16:29
Laser-cutting a combination of clear, frosted and opaque white sections which will be personalised by the BA1&2 students and form one of the main Icosahedron panels!
Posted 19 Apr 2018 16:22
Quick introduction before some hands on maquette making.
Posted 18 Apr 2018 14:53
5 days to go until Events week starts!

Phil, our fabricator has been busy good progress making the structural frame this week. We're looking forward to seeing it finished!

Also a reminder to keep an eye on your emails as we will be sending the programme over very soon along with some items you will need to bring with you during events.
Posted 13 Apr 2018 14:09
Material Options - Working through material choices and costings in order to make sure that our project comes in on budget whilst delivering our proposal.
Posted 29 Mar 2018 16:50
Bid Images - Images in order to get final sign off, of design from client in order to release funds.
Posted 16 Mar 2018 12:00
Design Iterations - Looking at using different light sources and colours as options for the Festival Promoter to view and give us feedback in order to progress.
Posted 14 Mar 2018 10:15
Design Iterations - 04
Posted 13 Mar 2018 22:21
Design Iterations - Working through different material combinations.
Posted 13 Mar 2018 21:31
Design Iterations - Working through the factors that influence our design through day and night in order to produce the desired outcome for our client.
Posted 13 Mar 2018 20:09
Great meeting with our client earlier this week!

After taking our approved final scheme forwards, we have began resolving its means of construction! This has been a carefully considered process that takes into account the installation within the university as well the at the festival. The agreed approach has been to create a durable, lightweight and easily adaptable structure that enables a playful assembly of neon cord that will resemble the Big Bang!

Having now resolved the structure through technical drawing and modelling it will now be in the hands of our manufacturer who will look to bring our idea into reality!
Posted 13 Mar 2018 20:05
Design Iterations - Following our productive meeting at Decordia Head office, we have been working through design options in order to get the design signed off by the Festivals Promoters.
Posted 13 Mar 2018 17:49
Great meeting with the collaborators & fabrication today!
Posted 13 Mar 2018 14:33
We’ve had some samples delivered!

As you will have seen from the previous post with our sketch model, we are incorporating string/cord into our design in a combination of ways. Due to being on show day and night at the festival, we are exploring the use of UV reactive products and lighting to create a more interesting and stimulating installation.
Posted 12 Mar 2018 09:24
Ahead of our meeting with Decordia & Phil (fabricator) on Monday, we have been working to make sure we can provide as much information and detail as possible to communicate our ideas and designs.

Sometimes a rough and quick physical-model (like this one) can demonstrate an idea much more effectively than a series of drawings or CAD models.
Posted 11 Mar 2018 12:29
Big news!

Thrilled to confirm our collaborator has had the sign-off and approval of our design with the Festival!!

This means we can really push on with materials, costing and detailing. We have been researching and exploring various possible materials to use (with samples on their way!) as well as how the BA 1st & 2nd years will be able to have their own personalized design inputs into the installation!

We have another meeting booked in for next week with Decordia, and hopefully a fabricator, so we can thrash out any structural or manufacturing issues whilst clarifying and confirm the final design.

It's been said before and will definitely be said again but genuinely exciting things are happening!
Posted 7 Mar 2018 11:15
Cracking on planning out the timetable, we've been working hard to ensure we've packed in as much as possible whilst keeping activities varied, interesting, and engaging for the whole team.

The team are also happy to announce our collaborator from Decordia will be dropping in during the project to see how it's progressing as well as some design presentations from the first & second years!

We're expecting the events weeks to be hard work but it will result in some very satisfying and tangible rewards for both the team as a whole and each member!
Posted 4 Mar 2018 15:32
Following on from the productive meeting with our collaborator last week, we've certainly kept the ball rolling!

Whilst refining our design, we are collecting quotes for our shortlisted materials. By doing so, this has enabled us to put together a list of activities and potential hazards that may come about whilst using these materials for the risk assessment. Not the most glamorous of tasks but an essential and very important one to ensure the team will be working safely!

In the background we are also producing a 3D CAD model. This will initially aid our collaborator in further understanding the design in terms of aesthetics and form, whilst later providing us with accurate working dimensions for construction!
Posted 26 Feb 2018 19:18
The incorporation of light is a key part of our brief, as the installation will need to really stand out during the night!

We visited the National Science and Media Museum in Bradford this weekend to spark some more ideas as to how we could use and manipulate light onto, within and/or from our piece, potentially creating different view-ports providing varied effects!

Some interesting and exciting ideas developing!
Posted 26 Feb 2018 19:04
Great meeting this week with our Client from Decordia!

She was very excited to see all of our fantastic ideas! The final design will now be taken forward to the rest of the Decordia team!

We will now be looking to develop the design and provide an idea on cost, material and how it will be manufactured!

We are hoping the students that will be working with us in Events will contribute to the design in their own unique way! It will be a very exciting couple of weeks!


Posted 22 Feb 2018 10:50